Saturday, July 7, 2012

Introductory Rambles

STUDIO DILEMMA:


I have a studio space now! But I'm also moving out of my apartment in a week, going on a small vacation, thinking about the next year's elementary art curriculum and generally feeling crunched. The few times I've made it to the studio, I haven't been able to relax because I feel like time's already running low! So... questions...

How do artists discipline themselves? what's the process like? What separates art and hoarding? how do we make decisions when it seems that contemporary art is more about choices than anything else? And how do I be 'thoughtful' without putting so much pressure on myself that I become paralyzed?

I've been advised to take a peek at Maximalist artists. In particular, I'm wondering-- how do they work with so much material without getting overwhelmed?

For Fred Tomaselli, the answer is apparently tweezers. And resin and pages full of noses.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5VuAzThzH_E&hl=en_US&fs=1?rel=0

RESPONSE TO F. TOMASELLI:
After seeing his work, I rolled out a big roll of crummy drawing paper and played with old homemade stamps, markers, and crayons. It'll stay on the floor, and I figure I can work on it when i'm not sure what else to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment