Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Series #3: ocean print

New printing plate:
Took about 2 days to carve. The edges line up for an endlessly repeating pattern!


Process:
 

Inspiration: 
 My boyfriend Jon and I were in Provincetown, MA last week, and among all the galleries we saw, this one left the deepest impression! The Woodman/Shimko gallery features prints that are actually silkscreened panels of fabric originally designed as door hangings in Japan. I really enjoyed the combination of traditional technique/aesthetic sensibility with more modern content and composition. It reawakened my obsession with Japanese prints!

 

Experiments:
     Haven't had time to make a proper print of the plate yet, but I did some rubbings to make sure the edges lined up-- I was envisioning a tiled, wallpaper feeling similar to french toille (sp?) or japanese water designs.

extra rubbings collaged onto a painting of a mountain i was playing with earlier.

3 comments:

  1. Wow- I really like the collaged rubbings. NICE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nathaniel! You're my first blog comment EVER!! I feel like i should send you an edible arrangement or something to say thanks. I hope i can make landscapes as effective as yours some day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love the Woodman/Shimko Gallery in Provincetown too!

    ReplyDelete