Tuesday, July 9, 2013

back in the studio: Cats, Kids, Castles

Feeling a little aimless here in the studio, but making sure to work steadily every day. I'm giving myself a few more days to noodle around and then I'll set a schedule for the rest of the semester.
There are three major threads running through the stuff I'm making at the moment:

1. CATS--
Old faithful- painting on the apartment floor. The BEST.
Kitty, queen of the Stinkeye. She really paints herself.
2. KIDS
I have a huge stash of discarded kids' drawings. Started collaging them into this ornate, glossy book-- it's called THE POPES. I shall not rest until every human head becomes a five year old's smiley face.
Sacrilege? Probably, but I'm really just interested in questioning 'what is valued'. I flippin' love my students' drawings... why shouldn't they be framed in mosaic and gold? Perhaps this could become the bestiary I wanted to compile.


More experiments.


3. CASTLES-- 
Messing with these old photos from my 8-month stay in Venice, Italy in 2006. Some time ago I collaged them into the shape of a large structure and mounted them on wood. I've been pulling the film off certain pictures with an exacto knife and finding the shapes are even more interesting blank, without the photographic image. It could become an exploration into a cache of half-distorted or absent memories... Oh grad school! you've got me all conceptual, baby.
Photos on the left, a large watercolor version on the right. 


2 comments:

  1. I pretty much love everything you do, but I especially LOVE the Popes project! I think you may be on to something with the bestiary, combining the sacred book, and the children's drawings. Would love to see it when it's finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nina, thank you! Your comment gave me the impetus to keep working on it. It's starting to come together! I'll post more pictures soon! :)

      Delete