Saturday, March 30, 2013

Toy Stories by photographer Gabriele Galimberti


 http://www.boredpanda.org/children-toy-stories-gabriele-galimberti/

Home sick with a stomach bug,  I came across this article on boredpanda.com: Toy Stories, by photographer Gabriele Galimberti. Please look at all the pictures on the original site-- they are really striking!

Galimberti spent 18 months traveling around the world, photographing children and their toys. He often played with them first and learned revealing things about their values and their parents' values (wealthier children were often more possessive, for example, and didn't want him to share their stuff). Some kids ascribed supernatural powers to their toys. A plastic dinosaur from Texas and from a plastic dinosaur from Africa were both said to protect their owners at night.

Isn't this what I'm doing? Painting myself together with my toys? Possessiveness and ownership and how the privilege of my childhood has colored my adult life is something I want to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment