Saturday, March 2, 2013

Theme #2 redux: Characters 3D

I was stuck. My mentor, Liz Thach, gave me this terrific assignment:


Sculpt at least 6 characters from my bestiary, using household materials, and then create at least 6 paintings of the figurines on paper.


Making these little guys with play-doh was one of the most positive creative experiences I've had in a long time. Wrestling with the material managed to get me out of my own head. (And the entire house smelled like cookies).

I'm looking forward to setting these up with dramatic lighting and getting started on paintings.

Doughy characters-- a little bit burnt. I like the way they swelled up in the oven and look a little bit chunky.

Characters assembled! Including: Red Chair, Bunny Guy, Robot, Sea Monster Thing, Kitty, Penguin Humidifier, Apple, Sharpie, Two Mugs, Scissors, my boyfriend Jon (he is doing his nightly floor exercises), and me, with a backpack and determined expression. The rest of the sculptures were less successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment