Saturday, November 30, 2013

Bosch-Style Monster Mash

Update: 12/10/2013 (kitty is not impressed)
Original Post:
I am constantly overwhelmed. Sometimes the multitudes of thoughts and responsibilities swirling around in my head are manageable, but often they come close to reducing me to a quivering ball of goo. Rather than staying in goo-form, I want to express these feelings with my work. So--

I chose Heironymous Bosch's triptych "The Temptation of St Anthony" as compositional inspiration for this new painting. Like Bosch's picture, it will be a triptych, with doors that open to reveal a chaotic and fantastical scene. I made it out of a large piece of chipboard, scored with a knife to fold in the right places. Saint Anthony is shown three times (an example of continuous narrative), tortured by a crowd of monstrous beasts. I am drawing my own fears (and first-world worries such as Pinterest feed updates and Brunch With Friends) in monster form. I'm no saint for sure, but I'm the only protagonist I've got, so I will be shown three places in his stead, surrounded by Creatures Moste Foul:
the inspiration: Bosch's wildly imaginative, hellish landscape 
Part of my interpretation so far. 
close-up of one of the panels
the "doors" of the triptych

No comments:

Post a Comment