Friday, August 3, 2012

Sketchbook #2: Your Composition is Mine!




Composition: it's something I don't put enough thought into, for sure. I was oogling the drawings of illustrator Scott C, feeling a little despondent, when my mentor suggested examining the way the illustrators I like present their ideas on the page. Simple ideas, presented really cleverly. "Oho," decided I. "Steal from the best, I will!" (I speak like Pirate Yoda when I'm about to do something larcenous, apparently).

In this sketchbook I cut printed and cut out thumbnails of work that I've curated on Pinterest.

I glued the artist's original in the corner, responded to his or her composition more or less literally, and inserted my own content. I think I've already learned a lot-- it's really good practice!

Some experiments from the past two days:




8-4-2012
8-2-2012
8-4-2012
Note:
to see the original illustrations, shown here in thumbnail form, go to my home page, click on the 'Pinterest' link, and choose the album entitled "Nice Composition, Bro." Artists are credited wherever possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment