Monday, April 15, 2013

Critique #3 with Liz Thach

On Saturday I met with my mentor, Liz, for our (gulp) second-to-last meeting. She said I've been developing clearer pictures, that I'm starting to build a visual hierarchy. I'm still not sure what these pictures are trying to convey, but she saw in them a "quiet alienation", "quirkiness", and "sentimentality", which I've got to come to grips with. It's okay to be sentimental, but I've got to realize it and be purposeful. She advised me to look at Bill Viola, John Curran, and Lisa Yuskavage for works that play with kitch and self-loathing.
These are some of the paintings I've been working on. Or are they drawings? Most are still in progress.



I'm wondering, though, where to go next. How many more drawings can I make of slightly strange goings-on in my house? What's the point of them? are they personal narratives? What am I adding to them with the scribbling and words and cartoons? Why do I feel the need to ruin everything at least a little?

No comments:

Post a Comment